Novak Djokovic’s Absence From US Open “Extremely Sad”: Rafael Nadalrafael Nadal

said Friday he is disheartened by Novak Djokovic’s nonattendance from the US Open as he gets back to the competition without precedent for three years.

Rafael Nadal said Friday he is disheartened by Novak Djokovic’s nonappearance from the US Open as he gets back to the competition without precedent for three years. The Spanish legend has not played in that frame of mind since overcoming Daniil Medvedev in five sets to lift the 2019 title. Nadal has added three more Grand Slam singles titles to his take since that triumph, taking his all out to 22 – – the unsurpassed men’s record.

While the 36-year-old will be hoping to add to that count over the course of the following fortnight in New York, Nadal conceded on Friday that the shortfall of Djokovic left him “extremely miserable.”

Djokovic affirmed on Thursday he will have no impact in the competition in the wake of declining to get immunization against Covid-19 – – putting him in conflict with US government travel necessities for global guests.

According to my own viewpoint, it’s extremely miserable information, Nadal said.

It’s generally a disgrace when the best players of the world can’t play a competition due to wounds or due to various reasons.

For this situation, not having one of the most amazing players of the set of experiences in the draw of Grand Slam is dependably a significant miss, no? Extreme for the fans, intense for the competition. As I would see it, extreme for the players, as well, since we need to have the most ideal field.”

However regardless of Djokovic’s nonappearance, Nadal is determined that the competition won’t be reduced by the non-cooperation of the Serbian extraordinary, who is only one behind the Spaniard in Grand Slam singles titles with 21.

I rehash what I expressed a lot of times: the game somehow or another is greater than any player, Nadal said.

I missed a great deal of significant occasions in my tennis profession due to wounds, unquestionably. Last year I hadn’t arrived. Quite a while back I hadn’t arrived. The competition proceeds. The universe of tennis continue onward.

Regardless of whether is definitely not an uplifting news for everybody, the world proceeds and the tennis will go on after me, after Novak, after Roger (Federer).”

Nadal began 2022 in rankling design, winning both the Australian and French Opens before an abs injury constrained him to scratch from the Wimbledon semi-finals.

He got back from that injury at the Cincinnati Masters this month however left in the subsequent round. Nadal said Friday he had been safeguarding the injury during his Cincinnati rebound.

It’s an intense physical issue since it’s hazardous, it’s dangerous,” he said. “At the point when you have a scar, it’s a spot that you put parcel of exertion when you are serving.

I take it exceptionally simple in the Cincinnati, as well, in the practices. The match, I make an honest effort without investing all the energy there on the serve.”

Nadal, who opens his US Open mission against Australian trump card participant Rinky Hijikata on Tuesday, was hopeful but still sober minded about his arrangements.

I’m doing things the most effective way that I would be able,” he said. “I desire to be prepared for the activity, no? That is the main point that I can make.

Taking consideration with the serve, tell the truth. In any case, overall terms, indeed, I am rehearsing at elevated degree of force.”

(This story has not been altered by NDTV staff and is auto-created from a partnered feed.)